2021 Annual MeetingNY Startups -- a Resilient State of Mind
December 1, 1 PM – 5 PM, (Past Event)
- 1pm – Panel 1 – ADVOCATING FOR STARTUPS-We heard from some of the top lobbyists and professionals that advocate for the top tech and innovation companies in the US on best practices for advocacy for startups and the innovation economy.
- 2:00 pm – Panel 2 – THE HANDBOOK ON BUSINESS AND TECHNOLOGY INCUBATION/ACCELERATION – We hosted a Q and A between our former Executive Director David Hochman, and Dr. Sarfraz Mian from SUNY Oswego who literally wrote the book on technology incubation and acceleration- link to book(spoiler alert- a number of our members have also contributed to the text).
- 2:45 pm – REGIONAL HOTSPOT ROUNDUP- The leaders of each of the 10 Regional Innovation HotSpots gave us an update on the leading trends and successes in their respective regions of NYS.
- 3:40 pm – SESSION CLOSING REMARKS — Matt Watson, Senior VP of ESD’s Division of Science, Technology and Innovation (ESD/NYSTAR).
- 3:45 pm – Members Only Official Meeting – Election of Board Members, and official business.
1:00 – 2:00 PM – PANEL
ADVOCACY/LOBBYING FOR STARTUPS
BRAD TUSK – TUSK VENTURES
Brad is the Founder of Tusk Ventures, an entrepreneur, and political operative. Brad has specialized in providing government affairs services for startups at their seed stage and helping them to grow into unicorns – i.e., Uber and Lemonade. Brad initially took enormous risk with the first startups he helped by taking equity in lieu of a retainer. That risk was rewarded, and Brad has set aside a portion of his exits to serve as a VC Fund to assist startups that fit his model.
VICTORIA HOUED – SCHMIDT FUTURES
Victoria is an Associate focused on building out a robust technology policy collective within Schmidt Futures. She previously worked for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi supporting the Speaker on all things tech, including internet accessibility, data privacy, antitrust, disinformation. Section 230, and autonomous vehicles.
AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR AND EDITOR OF THE NEW HANDBOOK OF RESEARCH ON BUSINESS INCUBATION AND ACCELERATION
AUTHOR DR. MIAN SUNY OSWEGO
Dr. Mian is Professor of Entrepreneurship and Management Policy and School of Business Department Chair at SUNY Oswego. Dr. Mian has authored four scholarly books including his latest Handbook of Research in Business and Technology Incubation and Acceleration: A Global Perspective (2021). He was recently ranked both by the Journal of Technology Transfer and the Journal of Business Research as the most productive scholar with highest impact (measured in citations of his work) on technology business incubation and acceleration research in the world.
MODERATOR – DAVID HOCHMAN
David’s consultancy serves clients in the government and nonprofit sectors. He is a long-time affiliate of TEConomy Partners LLC (formerly Battelle’s Technology Partnership Practice), where he co-authored several landmark studies, and has consulted to many state governments, foundations, and nonprofit intermediaries that support innovation-based economic development. He served for a decade as founding director of BIANYS and was on the board of the NYSEDC.
2:45 – 3:40 PM
REGIONAL HOTSPOT ROUNDUP
2022 NYS Innovation Update from each Regional Incubator Hotspot
3:40 – 3:45 PM
MATT WATSON – EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR/VP NYSTAR-ESD
Senior VP of ESD’s Division of Science, Technology and Innovation (ESD/NYSTAR). At ESD, he has managed over $73 million in federal funds over the past 12 years, and currently manages over $41 million in annual state funding under NYSTAR’s program portfolio, which covers over 70 innovation ecosystem assets including Centers of Advanced Technology, Centers of Excellence, Innovation Hot Spots, Certified Incubators, Manufacturing Extension Partnership centers, and other programs.
3:45 – 4:45 PM
ANNUAL MEMBERS MEETING
MEMBERS ONLY PORTION OF MEETING
The Voting Member Session will address:
- -BIANYS Bi-Laws
- -Election of Board of Directors Members
Agenda will be sent directly to voting members